Friday, October 12, 2007

on raya eve


I'm missing my family so much, it hurts. I miss being with them in the kampung enjoying the raya atmosphere together - the pelita-lit fences, the sound of fire crackers, the happy voices of children running around the lawns and the raya songs coming out of the television.

On this raya eve, I wish I was having the best char-kuey-teow in the world (Kuala Pilah has it - trust me on this) and of course enjoying the kampung delicacies and raya cookies. I wish I was house-hopping between my aunties' houses, catching up with cousins and having sneak-previews of their children's baju raya. I wish we were enjoying the cool air cross-ventilating our wooden kampung house while we're chit-chatting, gossiping and laughing away.

It isn't the first time that we're celebrating raya away from home, but never have I experienced raya that is so void of its vibrant atmosphere. Thought we could at least celebrate the day with Dino's Arab and Lebanese classmates here, but unfortunately they really do not care much about Eid. For them it is not a time to celebrate but a time when they feel sad that Ramadhan is over.

So, here we are on raya eve watching Desperate Housewives (in French!) and tomorrow is going to be like any normal Saturday except for the phone calls we'll be making in the morning to our families. And to you friends, we wish you Selamat Hari Raya and enjoy this sacred time with your families - as it is precious...

* The photo is from last Hari Raya of cousin's children in our heritage kampung house

7 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger tweedleyourthumb said...

Aiyo....whose kids are these at the KP kampung house? I dont recognise them........

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger miss-cream said...

haha i know it's a bit 'controversial' and i kind of wish i have better pics from last year's raya. but unfortunately this pic of abj joe's kids (+ afiq) is the only decent one i have.. so there you go!

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what u mean!! Things we take for granted!! But my raya wasnt so bad thnx to Zt and Tintan's delicious cooking!!hehe..Selamat hari raya to you too!! Maaf Zahir & Batin!!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger DydD said...

Sha, Slamat Hari raya to u n family..

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger The Momster said...

selamat hari raya, maaf zahir batin sha!

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

selamat hari raya sha2!! heard you're going to london, wish i could join!! heheh...

xxx Rina

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger elly said...

selamat hari raya & maaf zahir batin to you and family!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home